Sep 12, 2007

A Word About My Garden

I started to think about my garden, and how it might appear to some that I have a large amount of space to work with. I don't want anyone to think that you need a bazzillion acres to have a good veggie garden. In fact many seed suppliers have varieties that are well suited to being grown in pots on patios, or balconies or just about anywhere. So a few pots, and a little bagged soil are all that you need to have your own garden fresh produce. Or get creative and look around at what can be recycled into a planter. I have an old crockpot with a pepper plant growing in it...the crockpot didnt work any longer, so instead of taking space in a landfill, its now doing time as a veggie pot. I also have those jumbo sized cans you get coffee in planted up...just about anything that can hold soil and be made drainable, can be a planter.
So, what I am trying to say is, even if you live in an apartment with only a tiny balcony of space or a ledge out a window, you can grow your own. Granted you aren't going to be canning up gallons of sauce from one tomato plant, but you will have a few tomato sandwiches and salads, and the flavor alone will make it all worth the time and effort you put into it.

Back to my garden....nope I don't have an acre, not even close...in fact my lot size is only 50 feet wide and 100 feet deep...and a good 1/3 to 1/2 of it is covered with my house . So all in all I only have two smallish veggie gardens,and the odd pot or 10, and yet I still seem to get enough to make my family sick of vegetables by the time the end of September rolls along.

So don't fret, if you want a garden, nothing can stop you.

No comments: