Oct 21, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday

I was tempted to put up some more pictures of my Christmas Cacti this weekend, however, they seem to enjoy the publicity a little too much and are getting a tad ahead of themselves. It seems as if at least one of them is going to bloom well before Thanksgiving,I am crossing my fingers and toes that it holds off beyond Halloween. So this week I am bringing back the Pineapple Sage which is covered in the sweetest scarlet blooms.
I think that the Rio Grande Plum tomatoes evident in the picture are extremely telling of the weather we have been experiencing around the area lately. I knew planting the extras in pots was going to turn out to be a good idea!


Next week we will go back to Adventures in Christmas Cacti ....I promise :)

4 comments:

farmingfriends said...

What are the lovely red flowers I can see?
Sara from farmingfriends

Donna said...

Those wonderful flowers are the Pineapple Sage. I am so pleased with this plant, I grew it as an herb for use in teas and such, but got a double treat from them as a beautiful flowering semi-shrub.

ferne said...

My name is Ferne and I just stumbled upon your blog as I stumble upon most blogs in the early morning while I am eating breakfast and drinking coffee. Your blog is very sweet. I find I have several things in common with you...I love to garden, infact I work at a nursery and order the veggie plants and bedding plants...I am a gemini...50 not 40 though...I live in California...so we do have some differences though I do love pineapple sage and have to replant it every year because it freezes here. The flowers are really tasty and great to through in salads, both green and fruit! This year I found a dwarf variety that turned out to be really wonderful.

I will be checking out your blog from time to time so feel free to check out mine anytime!

Donna said...

ferne- I am glad you stumbled upon my blog. I hope you enjoyed your visit here.
Pineapple Sage is quickly becoming one of my favorite herbs along with about a dozen others :D
I am hoping that I can get a cutting rooted and help it survive the winter. A dwarf variety sounds just perfect. I am going to have to keep my eyes open for it come Spring!