Jan 4, 2008

A Peak at Peppers

I really like growing my own peppers. Yet for some reason I don't really ever talk about them the way I talk about tomatoes. I wonder why that is.

I think today I am going to change that.

Just like my new found experience with growing tomatoes from seed, 2007 brought me that same experience with peppers. It had the same amount of ups and downs, but in the end I had a great experience and find that it was well worth it.

I first received Chili pepper seeds from a lady in Spain whom I had become friendly with online. They came to me amusingly enough as whole peppers, as she wanted me to have the seeds but didn't have the time to dry them for me.That was actually a good thing, as I was able to sample each of the 3 varieties in advance. The peppers sent were called 'Lemon Drop' a variety that I believe is pretty easy to find and way HOT. It only had maybe 5 seeds in it, and out of those 5 I managed to germinate 3 and lost all 3 in a horrible hardening off accident. So other than my taste test of the original pod, I don't have much to go on, except that I really wanted to grow it. The next was called 'Boule de Turquie' a nice small, round ,thick fleshed , medium hot type. It didn't do much in the way of production for me, but that may have been because of where it was planted. The third is an mystery type that she received from her neighbour, it was quite tasty,a heavy producer and made some nice hot sauce.

Next came a care package with the seeds of 2 sweet pepper varieties, Reus Long Parial and Greuso De Plaza 2 types that are both supposed to be sweet red peppers.At least from what I can find about them this is what I gathered.They were good, medium producers,for me, but they did spectacularly for my Mom in her garden. Neither of us had a long enough season to let them get red. Well maybe I could have, but I can never control myself when it comes to picking peppers.


I will grow all 4 of these peppers again in my 2008 garden, along with some Hungarian 'Paprika' peppers. I would like to do a few 'Tabasco' peppers as well, but that is still up in the air for the coming season, they may have to wait until 2009.

Plus, for anybody who is 'in the know' pepper-wise, I am still looking for the right pepper for CHILIES RELLENOS so let me know what you use, or have heard may be a good variety to use.

2 comments:

ferne said...

Pablanos are the peppers you are looking for and there may be different varieties that will work. I read that you can also use Anahiems. I don't have as much luck with peppers in my plot as I do tomatoes. Like you I prefer the heirlooms. I do love to grow any kind of paprika pepper and dry them. I even have a coffee grinder that I use especially for this purpose. A small pinch of paprika gives may dishes that 'zing' that makes them sing! Love it!

Donna said...

I read somewhere about the Anaheims too, but I knew there was another variety and Poblano it is Thanks for the heads up :)
Funny you mention Paprika Peppers, as I have some seeds for them and I am going to grow them for the first time this season. Being that I am half Hungarian you would have thought I would have been growing those forever LOL!