Feb 22, 2008

Seed Starting Time!!

Wow, it is hard to believe that another seed starting season has come again. I have been looking forward to this time of year since I cleared the last of the tomato vines out of the garden in the end of October.The totally ironic thing about all of this, is the snow that is falling outside my window . I have lamented this past Winter on the lack of snow in my area. I live on the coast of Long Island Sound, therefore, even on the other side of town sometimes there would be an inch or two of snow happening, while my neighborhood would receive rain. Now granted , even for those areas that would receive a few inches, it has been mainly a non-Winter this year. So , wouldn't you know, just as I am gearing up for the arrival of Spring and getting my first round of seeds tucked under their earthy blankets, the storm of the season hits. Right now we have about 7 inches more or less of snow piled up, and the rest of the storm ....5-6 hours worth....to go.





Oh, Well...back to my seeds. I am so excited about starting my seeds this season. this of course being the second season for me to grow my veggies from seed instead of store bought stock.


Right now I have a tray of Eggplants going, the varieties being: Listada de Gandia, Rosa Bianca and a black variety is from seeds saved from plants I got at a Discount store last season. The Black variety did so well that it really renewed my interest in growing eggplants again, after several failed attempts in the past. Also readying themselves to sprout on top of my Cable Box are, Hot Peppers: Brown Congo, and Burpees Five Variety Mix and a bunch of Sweet Peppers :Reus Long, Grueso de Plaza and Paprika. As soon as they sprout they will be moved into my not so professional grow space .


I am looking forward to next week, when the kids go back to school from their Winter Break, so I can get my Tomatoes started. I would have started them today, but between the snow coming down and my son in the basement practicing loudly and relentlessly on his drums, its a wonder that I have been able to concentrate long enough to type this...let alone keep all my seeds straight.




So will let you know next week....when it is blissfully quiet.....what tomato varieties made it on my 2008 list....

No comments: