Mar 26, 2008

Seedlings in Full Swing!

It almost smells like Summer in my seed room. Ahhh...what a glorious thing that really is for me at this time of year.

Most of the Tomato seeds that were sown back in the second part of February have not only sprouted , but have been transplanted into their own bigger roomier homes. The ones that I haven't gotten around to transplanting are only waiting for me to get some better potting mix as I ran out in the middle of potting up yesterday. I guess I could have gone out to the nearest Home Depot to fetch some more...but truthfully I was cold and I didn't want to leave the comfort of my warm home and my sloppy yet cozy seed planting clothes. Or maybe I was just being lazy...hey, it happens.

So for the most part I am ecstatic over my crop of babies who are now just waiting patiently for the warmth of May to be planted out.The Tomatillos are doing their thing ,looking nice and strong(lets hope I don't kill them all like last year).The eggplants are almost ready to be transplanted. The peppers, though a tad bit slow since it is a little colder than they would prefer, are starting to put out their true leaves. I am green with happiness.
Well... I do have two or 3 exceptions to my happy hysteria.
Disappointment #1 would be my choice of gold tomato for this year 'Earl of Edgecombe' out of the 7 or 8 seeds that I planted for this variety, only 3 have sprouted, and where most of the other varieties who where sown on the same day have grown big and lush, putting out true leaves and more, the 'Earl of Edgecombe' have not done much of anything. Too bad I only had those few seeds of this tomato. I am really thinking that these are going to be a big bust this season. I did sow a few 'Basinga' seeds hurriedly this last week as a back-up yellow just in case. Now I am crossing my fingers that they sprout and move along quickly.

'Earl of Edgecombe'



Some of the 'Others'




Disappointment #2, My 'Aunt Rubies German Green' have had some difficulty in the germination arena as well, but at least the 2 that managed to germinate are moving along pretty well. Also luckily for me I had a few extra seed for this variety left and I reseeded fairly early hoping that a few more seeds will jump on the germination bandwagon.

and finally

Disappointment #3 comes from my hopes that all seeds are created to burst forth and share their genetic wealth with us all. This is just not true in some cases. Specifically with regards to the luscious 'Black Eggplant' that I grew from bargain store plants last season. They were oh so tasty and extremely prolific. Well prolific for me at any rate, being that I am a known killer amongst the Eggplant set. Unfortunately as tasty and prolific as they were, their seeds were also sterile. I treated those seeds with more care than my children are accustomed to, I sowed thickly, I kept them warm and moist...and not one seed sprouted.Oh well live and learn, at least we had our one season in the sun together.

Lucky for me, so far, my set backs so far have been minor , and my accomplishments have outweighed the negatives. So for now things are going as smoothly as they ever have...I hope it lasts....

No comments: