Jun 10, 2008

You Have Scapes....so Now What?!?

I was recently asked how I cook my Garlic Scapes. Good Question!!

This is my first ever season growing hardneck Garlic, therefore it is my first ever season enjoying their precious, and oh so very tasty Scapes. So I have really been winging it thus far.

We have picked a few batches of Scapes here and there since the first harvest. I have used them chopped in place of Scallions in Quesadillas and Egg dishes and anywhere else that scallions fit . I have also used them, in a closer to whole state, in a recipe that resembles Shrimp Scampi...but instead of shrimp I used Bay Scallops.....here , let me post an off the cuff version of my recipe, as it will be easier than just trying to explain . Although I do admit that there is not a whole lot of accurate measurements happening in my kitchen, so this is going to be as close to what I used as I can get .

Donna's Scape and Scallop Scampi

1 pound Linguine cooked to al dente using package directions
1-2 pounds Bay Scallops
2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 TBS Butter
2 tsp crushed and finely chopped garlic
7-8 Garlic Scapes cut into halves or thirds
1/4 cup White Wine
2-3 TBS chopped Parsley
salt and pepper to taste
Grated Pecorino Romano (or what ever hard grating cheese you prefer)

Heat Olive Oil in large saute pan. Toss in Bay Scallops and cook til just shy of being done. Quickly add in garlic and scapes, saute just til scapes are tender and scallops are done. Add in white wine, parsley salt and pepper bring back to bubbling and remove from heat. Serve over the linguine and dress with the grated cheese. Yum!

If I sound a bit jagged in this posting , it is because it is now 12 hours later and the following morning. While I was typing the above, a wicked storm came out of nowhere and blew out the power. I really thought for sure we were going to see a tornado, but lucky for me we didn't . I am sure though, that I was quite a sight out in my garden at 11pm in my nightgown checking to make sure my tomatoes and peppers made it thru.

So back to the Scapes. The way I am preparing today's scapes is to stir fry them up with a little Crushed Garlic, Broccoli, some of the Snow pea Pods I finally harvested and maybe a little Carrot for color. Since I am serving this along side another pasta dish, I probably will pass on the soy sauce and just use plain salt and a little crushed Red Pepper.

I have read online that people make Garlic Scape Pesto with their harvests. I may try that someday, and if I do I will let you know how it comes out :)

So you see, the sky is the limit...imagination rules when it comes to the lovely Garlic Scape. Grow some, try some, and let me know what you think and the recipes in which you used them . Maybe I will put up a whole post dedicated to readers Scape Recipes!!

3 comments:

Judy said...

Wow -- I can't wait to try this recipe! But I'll have to wait until late winter when I have some garlic growing :-)

Also, Just wanted to let you know that I've chosen your blog as my Fabulous Friday Favorite for tomorrow! You can see the post tomorrow morning at www.ft2garden.com/blog

Donna said...

Glad you like the recipe. It really was tasty , my hubby called it a keeper ... at least thats what it sounded like while he was chowing down on the scallops LOL!!

And thanks for adding me to your Fabulous Friday Favorites...I am totally thrilled :)

Farmer G said...

This sounds great! I've been sauteing the scapes from my CSA box with red onions and balsamic until everything gets a bit gooey and then eating them over mushrooms off the grill. But this sounds even better. Thanks too for the advice on how to grow your own!