Jul 7, 2008

Holy Horseradish Batman!!







So here is my stunning horseradish....and along side of my horseradish is my equally stunning, one and only, son. My horseradish this year is huge. Which for perspective sake is why my son, under protest, is in the shot. Now he is no giant himself, but he is in no way diminutive. So that gives you an idea about the height on this vegetable, as you can see it comes up to his waist.



Horseradish happens to be one of my favorite things from the garden so I am thrilled with it's size. I love it ground up along with ham and mashed potatoes. It is also a great in ketchup, not just as cocktail sauce for shrimp, but for anything you that you would use ketchup. I especially love to use it when it is fresh. I am not knocking store bought grated radish, but as with many veggies, fresh horseradish is best.



That being said, I would like to offer a cautionary tale regarding freshly ground horseradish for all you newcomers to the experience. It goes a little something like this...........



About 15 years ago I grew and then dug my very first crop of Horseradish. I then carried my dirty yet lovely roots tenderly into my kitchen where all the items that I needed to successfully preserve my precious harvest were carefully laid out. I lovingly washed my roots, peeled them down to their snow white flesh, and cut them into manageable chunks. After a quick ride in the food processor the ground radish was ready for it's vinegar and a trip to the refrigerator. Man was I excited.Eagerly I removed the lid from my machine, excited to finally view the freshly grated roots I adore. How gorgeous I thought.....and before the smarted half of my brain could kick into gear, I stuck my head over the bowl and took a great deep breath......

.

.

.

.



And thought I was going to die.....

.

.

.

My eyes blurred, the wind was knocked out of me, I couldn't draw a breath for the life of me. I became a spluttering fool, running my face under the cold faucet at full force. Which of course my kids found to be highly entertaining.

Luckily for me the effects only lasted a few minutes so I was never in any real danger. Once the vinegar was mixed in, the fumes subsided, and boy was I ever happy!



All in all I was left with my pride wounded...but a fantastic batch of horseradish.





So my word of wisdom to all who will grind their own Horseradish in the days, weeks, or years to come. Remember my tale, and just step back form the bowl. Thats right...step back from the bowl.



There will be no Horseradish Huffing on my watch......















*If you have any type of breathing problems like asthma, you should take precaution when working with fresh horseradish*

No comments: