Jul 17, 2008

Zucchini Invasion

It appears that I am coming to the point in the growing season, where I am going to have to find homes for my excess zucchini. At this stage of the game, I still have neighbors and family who will let me onto their property, and who welcome the squash with open arms.

In a week or so , that will all change. People will get tired of waking to a porch load of squash, and I just never got the knack of stealth squashing. I don't relish the idea of being run out of my neighborhood by an angry mob carrying pitchforks ,shouting angry slogans ....but that will definitely loom on the horizon if I don't come up with something to do with my zucchini.

So I am open for yummy recipes. If I get enough, I may even dedicate an entire post to your recipes. For now I offer the one my daughter loves the most.

Zucchini Fries

3 Medium Sized Zucchini
2-3 cups Fresh Bread Crumbs
1/2 tsp fresh Ground Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 Eggs
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
1/2 to 1 cup Flour

Preheat oil to 375°


In a pie pan or similar dish, mix together bread crumbs, salt, pepper , garlic powder and Parmesan cheese. Put aside. In a similar dish, beat together eggs and water, put that aside as well.

Wash Zucchini, then remove stem and blossom ends. Cut in half thru the middle, then cut into strips lengthwise, cutting each strip into fries.






Next , put flour into a gallon sized ziplock style bag, add strips of zucchini close bag, then shake to coat. Place flour coated strips , a few at a time into the eggs and turn to coat. Transfer to bread crumb mix and coat well. Shake off excess crumbs and gently place into oil
( I use an electric deep fryer with a basket, and I fill the basket a little shy of the half way mark...if you have a fryer, use yours according to the manufacturers instructions. If you are using a pan, use one with high sides and only put in a few inches of oil, and don't put in too many strips at a time as you don't want the oil to bubble over. Always use caution when working with boiling oil)



These only take a few minutes to be done, so no walking away :).
Once they are golden brown they are done. Remove from oil and drain.





Enjoy them any way you would enjoy traditional Fries!!



More recipes to come ...

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Love your blog! Nice article - I feel your pain about too many zucchinis. Last night, I sliced zucchini in thick discs, put them in a large bowl and tossed them in olive oil, herbs of Provence and monterey steak seasoning. ( I use Monterey steak seasoning on many vegies) I then put them on the bbq for about 7 min on each side. We added them to the bbq after we had cooked the chicken. It was wonderful.

Donna said...

Mmmmm...sounds yummy!! I have seen the Monterey Steak Seasoning at the Store before, and I have always wanted to try it. Now I think I will :)!!

I hope that more people add their favorite summer squash reipes. I also hope you dont mind if I add yours to the blog if I get enough recipes to dedicate to an article. I have a few more recipes to add, but would love to add other folks favorites as well!