Aug 25, 2008

Pumpkin Update

August 13 2008

This is what the pumpkin looked like on August 13th. A beautiful deep dark green and the size and shape of a small squat or oblate cantaloupe.



August 20 2008

Only 1 week later and Pumpkin is now the size of a large cantaloupe , still squat in shape but now starting to come into color.

I am absolutely certain that the color is even more pronounced and orange today. I would have taken another picture to show the difference, but as soon as I was on my way out, the sky opened up for a nice rain shower. I am not complaining though, no way, because even though some parts of my area are complaining of too much rain, I have not been getting rain regularly....no where near enough for my garden, so I am a happy gardener today :)!

5 comments:

Lawyer Consolidation Insurance said...

I love growing pumpkins to. But 1 only have 1 this years some years I've had 10 big pumpkins some rippening as soon as july.

http://lawconinsurance.blogspot.com/

Rosemary said...

glad you are getting the rain you need my area is getting lots of rain , oh the weeds love it.

Martha said...

Oh, well. Your pumpkin is moving right along isn't it?

I've planted them year after year but have never harvested a single one! Vine borers get them every year.

Can't wait to see yours next week.

Donna said...

LCI:What is your secret to getting so many pumpkins?? Sounds like you have a knack with squash :)

Rosemary: I hope you arent getting washed away!! And I think I spoke to soon , as we havent gotten any rain since, the dew point is incredibly low for August(I aint complaining LOL)and everything keeps drying out and wilting...I guess there is no middle ground.

Martha: I am so sorry about those vine borers. Truthfully this is the first and only pumpkin I have ever gotten...and I didnt even plant it, it grew out of the compost. The vines I did plant have nothing on them LOL!!

adekun said...

Being a brit I'm not a pumpkin eater. However, having moved to Japan I was introduced to kabocha. They are really good eating. Managed to grow a few of a mini variety this year before the vines got scorched.