Aug 19, 2008

Tomatoes...They're Whats for Dinner

I was trying to think of something new to do with our fresh tomatoes. I know I can be canning the excess...even though we dont have any where the amount it will take to feel overwhelming...that will come in a few more weeks....but in the meantime....

What to do for dinner.

We have had our Fresh Tomato Pizza ...a big favorite here...and we have stewed them up with our fresh zucchini...we have even added them into our Qeusadillas. But I can never get enough of my love apples , and I like them to shine on the dinner table, and I think tonights dish will do just that!

Pasta and Tomatoes alla Donna

Italian Sausage -use your favorite type
2 large cloves Garlic Minced
3 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5-6 Ripe Tomatoes Peeled and Seeded, use a combination of your favorite garden beauties!I used Golden Girl, Cherokee Purple, Olena Ukrainian , Better Boy and a NOID Red.
1 TBS Red Wine
Parmesan or Romano Cheese, Freshly Grated
Salt and Pepper to taste
Red Pepper Flakes (optional)

You can use any pasta you like, I used Ravioli...but even spaghetti will work.

Start by heating a few Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a skillet.
Cut your favorite Italian Sausage into bite size pieces and cook until done.
Add in the Minced Garlic and saute til just cooked....about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes at most. Then add your coursely chopped garden tomatoes and Red Wine,bring to a bubble and cook a few minutes . Now add salt, pepper and optional red pepper flakes.Cook until heated thru , but not too much longer. Remove from heat and gently stir in a few tablespoons of the grated cheese. Pour over your favorite macaroni and sprinkle with a little more cheese and whatever garden herbs you might like.....Enjoy!!




Tomatoes just waiting to be Dinner!

2 comments:

giam said...

mmmmhhhh... It's ok... :-)
My little kid (16 years old) eat gr. 250 of spaghetti a day... :-) But he is not fat :-) He play soccer and tennis and he is thin... :-) Fat is my problem... and I don't eat gr. 250 of pasta a day...!
My little kid doesn't like vegetables, but he eat only our tomatoes.
Well... I hope to suggest to you some recipe. :-) For example "pasta and beans" or "pasta and potatoes" or "pasta and chees". It is very easy "spaghetti aglio ed olio", very famous here in Italy: cook spaghetti; cook olive oil with garlic and hot pepper for 5-10 minutes and put it into spaghetti. It is like "emergency spaghetti" :-) because it is easy and quick.
Ciao :-)

Donna said...

:) I love Spaghetti Aglio Olio, and Pasta Fagiola was a staple food when I was growing up :) My Father's family came from a place my Mother says was called Sette Fratte...I am not sure if that is correct or if I am spelling it right :)
My Mother is Hungarian , so dinner was always interesting in my house growing up :)