Jan 5, 2009

Here's The Taro


It isn't the prettiest Taro in the World....but it is growing.For that matter it is growing in the middle of the Winter while the temperature outside hovers around freezing, and the snow we received New Years Eve continues to linger on the ground. So in my book it is the best little Taro planting ever!

Now...from what I understand ,Taro takes along time to grow.Once the leaves start to fully establish themselves , it should take another 4 months to grow a corm large enough to both be harvest-able for edible purposes and a huli or portion of the top of the corm,along with the crown, suitable to grow a new corm for the following season. I believe from huli to a corm of harvest size it could take up to 7months. Sooooo....I figure if I can just keep my little guy alive until the end of May the plant should actually be old enough, and large enough, to have a good sized corm ready before the end of the garden season in my area. Of course I know I started it too early, but I was totally excited to see it grow and I just had to have something in my plant/junk room to nurture. So I am crossing my fingers(You can cross yours for me too...it just might help)and with a little luck I will not kill it, and I will even get a little reward for my troubles.

Right now I have two corms planted. Both have finally sprouted. The bigger leaved of the two plants is the one most visible in the picture. That one sprouted about three weeks in advance of it's littler brother, but I have faith in them both. I know that they like moisture and some people who grow them in colder regions, immerse their pots into garbage cans of water to mimic their more natural growing conditions. However I have also read that growing them in average soil kept moist is another option.I don't have the room for the type of set-up a water garden would require, so it is average soil for me .

That all being said, this is my very first time growing Taro. That means, this information is just from what I have gathered during my limited research. So none of this is 100% written in stone, and there may be things I am not quite understanding, or may be overlooking.But I am learning....and I promise to post all that I learn about this beautiful leafy and totally tasty plant.... right up until I thinly slice and deep fry the harvest.




More Taro Tales to come :) .....

1 comment:

Moonglow said...

Since we're both from Tomatoville, I already knew we both LOVE tomatoes, so I scrolled down to the other plants you grow. I am so delighted to see someone else growing TARO. Taro is another pretty foliage in the garden and quite yummy, too.