Mar 30, 2009

Tomato Choices 2009

I have been having some trouble sleeping lately. I don't know exactly what it is, but I find myself getting drowsy at a normal hour, but as soon as I try to fall asleep, I start getting uncomfortable and restless. Now, I am sure you are scratching your head and wondering exactly when I went around the bend, being that this is a Tomato posting..... and what exactly does my lack of sleep have to do with tomatoes. Well it has a whole lot to do with tomatoes. You see....I use my variety of planted tomatoes the way other people use counting sheep. I lay still and envision all the different varieties the way they will be when early August rolls around. The only problem with that method of lulla-bying is that occasionally I get such a craving for a garden tomato that I end up more awake than asleep....but that is just the chance I have to take.

Now, putting all sleep problems aside, I finally finished potting up my tomato seedlings today. Ahh, what an intense feeling of satisfaction. So now the time has come around again to introduce the varieties that made the cut.

Tomatoes 2009:

Mr. Brown's
Brown's Jubilee
Gregory
Dona
Alyx Little Sun
Evergreen
Primrose Gage
Orange Strawberry
Black Krim
San Marzano
Opalka
Whippersnapper
Green Grape
Red Grape(from seed of a tomato I took home from a Bertucci's Restaurant 2 years ago)

Other Veggies:
Eggplant 'Black Beauty'
Tomatillo 'Mexican'
Tomatillo (wild Spanish type)
Artichoke 'Romanesco'
Pepper 'Habanero White'
Pepper 'Poblano Meek and Mild'
Pepper 'Lemon Drop'
Pepper 'Sweet Banana'
Pepper 'Sweet Cherry'
Pepper 'Cubanelle'
Basil 'Sweet Green'
Basil 'Lemon'
Basil 'Lime'

There are some other seeds that I have sown that either haven't germinated(and I am afraid they never will) or that I am trying to germinate using the Winter Sowing method. Once I see that there has been some germinating, I will post again about them. I also am going to hold back on the tomato variety descriptions until they actually make it into the garden. I have had failures in the past between germination and hardening off, so I don't want to jinx things.

These are the hopefuls for the 2009 season. I will update as things progress and then finish up with a Tomatoes on Parade 2009 ...of course that is a long , long way away.


So, what is everyone growing in their garden this season??

No comments: