Jun 8, 2009

Summery Scapes



I always feel closer to Summer after the Garlic Scapes are harvested and enjoyed. And this afternoon was no disappointment. There were more scapes this season than last, but I am not complaining at all. Not even one little hint of complaint. I was initially going to reserve a few for later and cut up the remainder into 1" or 2" lengths and add them sauteed to other veggies, but after looking at them all afternoon I couldn't help myself, and I ended up sauteing them all up for dinner.


First They were lightly blanched in boiling salted water for maybe 2 minutes.

Then they were quickly shocked in cold water to keep them crisp and refreshed. Then it was on to the saute pan in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, a little Kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. They only spent a few minutes in the pan getting hot and a tiny bit of caramel color in a few spots. Then I plated them up and finished them up with a splash of really fine Manicardi Balsamic Vinegar Acetaia 21(yum).

There should be a third picture, right here, of the finished Scapes....but we ended up eating them all as soon as they were done. Of course I realised after the fact that I hadn't taken a picture. Oh well...there is always next season.

Those Scapes were divine.







*edited to reflect that these are Garlic Scapes

2 comments:

Martha said...

OK. I give up.

Scapes of what?

Donna said...

Ack...I am so sorry, I thought I had named that in my posting. But after re-reading I guess I must have had some type of lapse and forgotten to mention that they are Scapes from Garlic.

Thanks for letting me know I goofed :)