Jul 8, 2009

Bursting with Berries

This was a shot of last weeks typical every other day Black Raspberry harvest, minus my munching in the berry patch. The pace has slowed down considerably since, and I maybe have only one or two more full bowls left worth of Blacks out there. And maybe one bowl of Golden Raspberries as well. Although, the Golden Raspberries have been few , the larger harvest for them will be coming later in the season on the new canes...I had some trouble with those ...like everything else this Summer..... and will not see as large a harvest as I should, but the Goldens are more of a novelty, and the Black Raspberries are more the mainstay of my berry patch so I am still pleased as punch with the season so far.

My daughter has finally had her fill of the berries for the Summer....not me LOL.... She ate them by the bowlful fresh out of the garden, and then dipped into my freezer supply to make herself Triple Berry Smoothies out of the Raspberries and some Strawberries and Blueberries I have stored away in the freezer for later use(even tho they are a little seedy for me, those smoothies she makes are to die for, and I might ask her to guest blog the recipe here). Luckily I still have enough in the freezer to make a batch of jam come the Fall and the onset of colder days. Let me tell you, there is nothing like warming the house up by making a batch of Raspberry Jam...the aroma is out of this world!!

Once the berry season is over for good , I will have to hold myself to pruning them hard to keep the from taking over the world. It pains me to do so, but they are making their escape out into the road next to my yard....

No comments: