Aug 20, 2009

Horrors for the Hornworms

Well it seems as if there was a third hungry Hornworm roaming around in my Tomato patch. I had suspected as much when I found some munched on foliage and a gnawed on baby fruit. Since that was the extent of the damage I crossed my fingers that Hornworm number two was the culprit and I put it out of my mind....as I really don't like to dwell on those ginormous caterpillars too much.
Lucky for me a Mommy to be Braconid Wasp found Mr. Hornworm number three for me. Those are the baby wasp cocoons you see there on the worms back. After a little examining it appeared to me that the baby wasps have done their jobs and flown the nest(so to speak)....but just to be on the safe side I am going to put the whole mess back into the garden tomorrow so if there are any wasps left they know where to call home.
What a neat surprise.







Here is a link for more information on the Braconid Wasp.

Braconid Wasp

No comments: