Sep 22, 2009

Autumnal Equinox

Well here we are again. The first day of Fall. Now, normally I look desperately forward to the first days of Autumn. Usually those days herald a change from the blistering heat and drenching humidity of August and still uncomfortably hot and humid days of early September. They are something I dream about as I watch the garden crisp.
This year is different. This year the Summer was painfully slow in arriving. Damp and dreary June, followed by a cool and blight filled July, made for a slow vegetable season. True, I have been slowly harvesting tomatoes, and the zukes were tasty even though they were bug plagued and not all that prolific, and cukes were plentiful enough for eating and pickling. Not the heat inspired Vegetable bonanza I am accustomed to, but not too shabby either.

Tomatoes are still coming in , but they are trickling in, not tumbling in. That is the first real Autumn sign for me. The next signal will be when I sit down with my gardening notebooks and write down my final thoughts on this years tomatoes. The 'Tomatoes on Parade' posting is usually my Summer Swan Song. And it is coming soon.


But until then I intend to thoroughly enjoy the fruits of my Summer....even if it is quickly fading.



Stay tuned for the 'Tomatoes on Parade' posting

No comments: