Jun 6, 2010

Garlic Scape Pesto

I made this Garlic Scape Pesto last Thursday to use on shrimp and Fettucini for a quick fix supper. Sadly that never happened . You see, almost as soon as I finished taking these pictures I became overwhelmingly dizzy and violently ill. I ended up being carted away to the Emergency room in the back of an ambulance.

Pneumonia. Can you believe it. Here it is, one of the most gorgeous weeks I have seen in a long time and I have pneumonia. Well I still want to enjoy the weather and my garden(even though I went out this morning to find it wilty and weedy. An obvious sign that my family can't tell the difference between weeds and veggies)

So without any more of a pity party from me, here is a brief recipe for this Pesto. I am still a bit disoriented here even though it has been almost 4 days since I got sick, so if you want a more detailed recipe please leave a comment and when I am better I will post it.

The ingredients:

Around 15-16 scapes

1/2 to 3/4 cup freshly ground and grated Parmesan Cheese

1 ounce Pignoli

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Salt to taste

Cut scapes into 1 inch to 2 inch lengths and put in blender with Parmesan and Pignoli. Pulse until coarsely ground, then put on blend and add olive oil til it is a smooth and spreadable consistency. Add salt to taste and pulse a few times.

Use any way you would use traditional Pesto.


We smeared around a half teaspoon of the Pesto on cold steamed shrimp(A 1/2 tsp on each of the shrimp) and took to a neighbors party . They were hit.

2 comments:

Ed Pratesi said...

I have never grown scapes - did you grow them and where did you get the starters?

I hope you recover soon.

Donna said...

Hi Ed,
I do grow the garlic myself. The scapes are the flower stalks that grow out of a type of garlic called hardneck garlic. You can get garlic for growing online, but I get mine at our annual Garlic Festival.You might even try your local farmers market.
And Thanks for the well wishes :)