Aug 26, 2011

Hurricane Irene

Here we go again with Weather Gone Wild 2011 version.

First it was snowstorm after snow storm dumping 12" plus every week....now it's the Hurricane from Hell. Never a dull moment here in bucolic New England.

I will admit that we here in the Northeast may know our way around a blizzard, but it has been....what....25 years since the last real Hurricane. That one would have been Gloria, and I would have been all of 18 or 19 at the time and I'm pretty sure I slept through most of it. Well this time around I am a homeowner and there is no way I will be able to sleep through it knowing my roof is at risk. So we have battened down the hatches. The hatches in this case being our lawn furniture, watering cans and other such suburban detritus.

On a happier note...well not happier as it still pertains to high winds whipping away at my garden,but maybe a more garden-like note....I harvested a nice bunch of tomatoes that were just starting to go a shade past blushing to keep them safe from the wind. Also my son helped put all of the dangling squash, pumpkins and melons into little hammocks. So hopefully those will just rock the storm out.

Okay folks....keep your fingers crossed that my roof and garden make it through until Monday.